Wherever you are in the USA, the astounding wonders of a national park are not far off. The wild expanses of the parks draw in millions of travellers each year, and the National Park Service (NPS) has announced that 2017 was no exception.
The NPS announced that there were 330,882,751 recreation visits to national parks in 2017 – almost reaching the to the record-setting 330,971,689 in 2016. While the number of visitors was pretty close to the previous year, visitors actually spent more time in parks during their 2017. Last year’s solar eclipse in August drew crowds in record numbers to several parks where the phenomenon could be seen, and 42 parks broke the attendance records they set in 2016. Overall, half of all visits to national parks occurred in just 27 parks. If you’re wondering just what the most popular spots were, check out the top 10 most visited US national parks in 2017.
1. Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee – 11,388,893 visits
2. Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona – 6,254,238
3. Zion National Park, Utah – 4,504,812
4. Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado – 4,437,215
5. Yosemite National Park, California – 4,336,890
6. Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming – 4,116,524
7. Acadia National Park, Maine – 3,509,271
8. Olympic National Park, Washington – 3,401,996
9. Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming – 3,317,000
10. Glacier National Park, Montana – 3,305,512
Source Article from https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2018/03/03/most-popular-national-parks-us-2017/
Check out the 10 most popular national parks in the USA
Lonely Planet Travel News
Travel news and more from Lonely Planet